Welcome to Stormflight Designs

www.StormFlightDesigns.com


If you've always wondered about how jewelry is made and fine craft is done, this is the blog for you! Our intent is to show you the step-by-step of creating jewelry from a silver-smith's and lampworker's point of view. We'll throw in some other interesting craft-work too. Consider this a "tutorial-light" blog in a way. You'll get to see the creative process from start to finish. Sometimes it may take a while to get to the finish, so please be patient! We often have to wait for the muse to strike--sometimes in the middle of a different project!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Searching for the Perfect Bread-Box

A dear friend of mine has been looking for a bread box and sent me some pictures of what she was thinking of purchasing.  She asked if I could make one for her as she'd love to have something handmade from me.  Of course I'm always up for a challenge so I started scouring the re-sale shops for just the right box...and I found it!  Of course, it had to be totally re-done!  Strip and sand and then paint.  While that was going on I had to search for the perfect scene to Repousse'/Emboss into the pewter.


I searched and searched images online and in my design book once I had narrowed it down to roosters.  I don't know why, but I've been into roosters lately...this may be influenced by the fact that a close friend of mine has chickens and roosters and I get the freshest eggs possible from her.  When I found this design in one of my books I knew it was perfect!



So, step by step this is how the rooster emerged from the pewter...

 Working from the back side I pushed out the detail lines.  You have to work slowly and carefully so the metal doesn't crimp or wrinkle.
 Slowly adding volume...you have to keep flipping it over to define the details on the front size.  Then go back to the back-side and add more volume.
Just keep working until the design is all done!

Then it is time to add a bit of patina to give it an old-world feel.

The voids have to be filled in so that all that hard work getting the design just right isn't ruined by getting smushed (technical word) with use. 
The final breadbox...I'm really happy with how it turned out!  I think I'm going to have to look for another bread-box to fix up and make one for myself!

2 comments:

  1. Stacey, you have outdone yourself. Best thing yet - and that's from a picture. I bet the real thing is gorgeous! Really nice work.

    ReplyDelete